Double XP (DXP) weekend is coming this weekend, during which the City of Heroes and Villains servers see and massive boost in population with everyone scrambling to make the most of the bonus XP. As we always tend to prepare ourselves a little before these weekends I thought I’d write some notes on the subject.
1. Who to play
Firstly is the important choice of which character to play, if you have followed the instructions correctly you should have numerous characters littered across many levels (like me). There are a few factors that help me determine which toon deserves some bonus XP, in order of importance they are :
- Difficult to solo – if you have a character whose main role is a healer, playing solo is frequently an awkward and fruitless task. DXP offers a nice environment to join bigger groups and gain more levels to unlock some much needed offensive powers.
- Close to a milestone? – why not get that level 18 character to 20 allowing you to hopefully stamina or that maybe level that Arachnos solider over the tricky 20 to 24 levels?
- Fun to play – Got that character that you enjoy levelling, well don’t spend all of DXP focused on your favourite they will still be as-much fun afterwards.
There are a few reason you may want to play your level 50 character: bigger groups to team with, badge hunting, earning influence/infamy or for Super-group Prestige (after the recent SG changes not too likely).
2. How much time to spend?
Many people will use DXP to level one character to 50, great idea if you only tend to work on one character at a time. However if you are like me you get bored stupid playing the same toon for long lengths of time, this is where you can set yourself a gaming plan.
For example, over this weekend my plan is to play the following characters:
- Level 42 corruptor (ice/storm) – I’m hoping to get this character to at least level 45 over the weekend
- Level 28 corruptor (sonic/pain) – This character is in a level pact so I’m not expecting miracles, hoping to reach 30 maybe 32, if the other person is on too.
- Level 25 Crabspider – this toon hasn’t moved much in the last 4 months I’m hoping to unlock a few more powers to help with playing him
- Level 1 ??? – I always tend to try and speed-level a new toon during DXP weekends, just to allow me to avoid the early level content, aiming for level 14 to get a travel power.
So there you have it not an overly exciting list I know, there maybe some alterations and additions before the weekend, but the bottom line is to have fun, remember it’s not a job.
Yes it’s time to lock the doors, set mobiles to silent, phasers to stun and dust off the tea urn in preparation (no really we do have a tea urn).
It’s rather easy to get wrapped up DXP so remember to take regular breaks allowing for food, drink and maybe even some fresh air, it’s surprising how time flies and you fail to remember the simple things.
4. and relax
Don’t get too annoyed if you fail to reach your targets you planned for your characters. There is always regular play and more DXPs in the future.
A tip for those of you playing in PUGs add your team mates to your characters friend list, it frequently helps in the future when you are looking for teams around your level.
Well thats all from me, I hope you have an enjoyable Double XP weekend.
The aim is simple get the ball to touch the star, sounds easy I know but as you climb the levels you have to learn and use different techniques to complete a level.
The map levels you finish the wider access you gain to other islands containing puzzles each set trickier than the previous.