Well I knew that I wasn’t going to be able to keep up the post a day schedule after Blaugust ended, however I planned on poster sooner than today if I’m completely honest.
However this week had other plans and has been rather chaotic all around. I was asked to help with a deployment at work which meant crashing at a friends house and getting up at 2am in order to be onsite for 3am. Websites are marvelous things.
Usually I would have left after working my contracted hours, but as the time rolled on and my familiarity with the system was needed I didn’t end up leaving until 3pm.
After that my days this week have been all out of phase, plus concerns about the NATO summit hampering people traveling to and from work, everyone was working from home the last 2 days, which is a bonkers experience when no-one is in the office.
Apart from not blogging I have also failed to read any blogs so my RSS reader is sitting at a happy 157 unread.
Onwards and sidewards
I did find some time this week to try something that I haven’t done for ages, namely being on the Couch Podtatoes podcast. Last week Izlain asked if anyone was interested in being a guest on the podcast, so after a little debating it over in my head, I thought it would be good to try again.
Thankfully I wasn’t the only as guest as Jaedia has also signed up as a guest too and what with all the excitement at work I blinked and it was Wednesday. I was rather nervous but I have to say that Izlain’s approach is laid back and after a quiet start I was soon into the swing of things.
You can find the episode here or here.
Currently I’m using PocketCasts on Android for my podcast needs, it’s a nice app with quite a lot of control over individual and global settings, plus if you have ChromeCast you can broadcast directly from the the App.
It’s been a little while since I mentioned what I’m podcasts I listen too, so here is a run down of my current list, which I should really try and add to my blogroll at some point.
- Recent additions
- Couch Podtatoes – Izlain and J3w3l focus on gaming and social issues around gaming.
- Aggrochat – Blaugust and friends tackle good selection of topics mostly focused on gaming.
- ESO Reporter – Svven, Jen, and Teppo discuss the goings on in Elder Scrolls Online.
- Continued listening
- Gamers with Jobs conference call – The weekly GWJ show features a varied panel of guests with a wide range of topics and listener letters.
- The MMOsketeers – Jen and Teppo discuss the latest weekly MMO news, plus tackling listener questions.
- My Brother, My Brother and Me – And advice show with an acquired taste, the MBMBAM show usually has me laughing out loud.
- Sawbones – A Marital Tour of Misguided Medicine with Dr. Sydnee McElroy and her husband Justin.
- Nerds Who Wait – Rockjaw and SixOkay discuss upcoming films of the future.
- Three Moves Ahead – a podcast that produces a weekly show where a panel discuss strategy games.
I tend to listen to most of the shows while travelling to and from work, certainly makes the commute a little less boring.
Well here it is, my post wrapping up 2008 and introducing 2009. It’s not going to be huge so don’t worry.
Ah 2008, now thankfully gone
On the work front it was a unusual year for me, my job of 9 years was off-shored and I re-joined the ranks of the unemployed a position I’d only ever been in for two months previously. I haven’t kept in contact with many from my previous place but happily I believe most found work elsewhere.
Omega Sektor – A very enjoyable Easter weekend was spent in the company of gamers and NCSoft staff. It was a tiring experience but with many-many highlights including meeting gamers friends, winning the beer quiz, DTWT work , attending the talks by Melissa AKA WarWitch and witnessing Rockband with Rockjaw singing (100% on expert if my memory serves me right).
Podcasters – I had my eyes ears opened to the rather fantastic world of the podcasts over at VirginWorlds. Now I quite happily download and listen to ever show that’s added, regardless of the game. Rachy and I decide to sponser the LE podcast as it’s a fine show that continually has us laughing out loud. This one item has kept me from going crazy on the bus to and from work.
So what is on my radar for 2009, lets have a look,
- Planning our wedding, this task will be ongoing, reaching critical mass around the end of May
- Dawn of War 2, this is the revamped RTS set in the Warhammer 40k universe. I’ve enjoyed playing these titles over the last year or so and the newer version looks wonderful.
- I’m looking forward to grabbing a drink with some of the new people we’ve talked to over the last few months
- There is only one MMO I’m waiting for which is Jumpgate Evolution, thanks to those that attended the Euro-gamer expo and reported and filmed the game for us to drool over.
- The Mission creator for City of Heroes/Villains is coming in 2009 and this item is one that will be high on my list of life changing events this year.
A light sprinkling of games over high ground (Current)
COD4 is still my FPS game of choice at the moment, although TF2 is fun it’s all too class limited. I may venture into COD5 in the next few months but the single player game isn’t appealing to me that much.
CoH/V remain my main focus at this time and until jumpgate appears on the sceen this is unlikely to alter much.
I’ve just re-installed LoTro but I’m unsure if I’ll re-sub again after January 20th. Will the lure of the crafting suck me in for another month?
So in closing thanks to all the wonderful people that I’ve gamed/nattered/teamed and generally interacted with in 2008, you certainly turned one frown into a smile.