A little while ago Steam hired the team behind the original Alien Swarm which was an Unreal mod (not to be confused with Ben 10: Alien Swarm). In-between working on Steams other big titles L4D2/Portal2 it seems they managed to move the game onto the Source Engine and use the Steam platform, Plus they have released it for free.
Now there are a few things that instantly make this game appealing to me and it appears to many other gamers do too judging by the number of players it peaked on the Stats.
- The first thing has to be the historical link to games like Alien Syndrome and Alien Breed, which spawned wave after wave of similar games across multiple platforms during my gaming lifetime.
- Games of this genre,theme and style can make numerous film references which I can’t help but find funny
- The Co-op is the element that ties the game together and bring it to life, the built-in Voice Communications means you can instantly liaise with your team mates quickly. Which when there are Xenos breathing down your neck it’s a good thing.
On the other-side of the coin there are a couple of niggles that I’ll mention, but certainly nothing that I would say should stopping you giving it a go.
- At certain times you need to equip an object, dropping your current equipment. We’ve had this glitch and the dropped object isn’t retrievable.
- I know it’s a free game there is only 1 campaign with 7 missions. I hoped there would have been 2 campaigns slightly smaller, as a complete run through of the campaign requires a fair chunk of time by all players.
I have more to write but it’s going to wait for a follow up post.