Well it’s safe to say that the news that SOE has been sold, further cements my belief that the companies strategy hasn’t been great over the last few years.
For me personally the cash shop focus has been awful and abused to the point that many players stopped buying into the OP/Nerf cycle.
- Release CashShop Overpowered Item
- Pimp said item in and out of game
- Wait the standard 2 to 3 weeks for it to become flavour of the month
- Nerf item to standard levels
- Count your profit Scrooge McDuck style
I suppose the lining is that the new Daybreak Company aims to also focus on Xbox and mobile platforms freeing the development studio from the Sony bias.
As it stands the offering SOE still feels a little lacklustre and I wonder if we will see some cutting loose of the non-profitable games that are hanging around (not that SOE didn’t already do that recently) such as PS (original).
But at least Smedley will be around to buy crap loads of donuts.